When you manage a property yourself you have to make sure that you are aware of the regulations as noncompliance can lead to a prison sentence as the Landlord below found out to his cost
A buy-to- let landlord has narrowly escaped jail after failing to ensure gas appliances in one of her properties were checked for safety.
Preston Magistrates Court heard that following a concern received from Preston City Council about the gas appliances in a property on Alvern Avenue in Fulwood, Preston, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) made contact with the landlord, Pritpall Kaur Singh, to establish whether she was complying with her legal duties as a landlord to ensure annual gas safety checks were carried out.
Singh, 44, failed to co-operate with HSE and failed to produce a Landlord Gas Safe Record to demonstrate that these checks had been undertaken correctly.
An Improvement Notice (IN) was issued to the landlord by the HSE for non-provision of a gas safety record for the gas appliances in her property, but Singh did not comply with that notice.
Singh was given a 26 week prison sentence suspended for 12 months and was ordered to pay £1,000.00 costs, after pleading guilty to breaching section 33(1)(g) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act, 1974 and to one breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (36 (3)).
After the hearing, HSE inspector, Anthony Banks, said: “If you rent property out, you must comply with requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations, including the need to have a gas safety certificate. Gas appliances should be regularly checked, as faulty appliances can kill.”
For information on your gas safety responsibilities as a landlords follow this link