Honourable and personal residential letting experts

Apart from rent what other costs am I liable for during the tenancy?

  • Council Tax – we will advise you of the band for your property. On new properties this is not always available
  • Utility bills – Gas, Electricity, Telephone and Water Rates including sewerage and environmental charges
  • TV Licence
  • Tenants’ contents insurance
  • Any damage to the landlord’s fixtures, fittings, furniture or appliances caused by you, any people you live with or your guests
  • Any items missing from the property
  • If you make a call out and it is found that the problem is not your landlord’s responsibility, you will be liable for all costs incurred.

What insurance do I need?

Before commencement of the tenancy, we will require you to provide proof of adequate insurance to cover both your own belongings, and any accidental damage to your landlord’s fixtures and fittings (not covered by normal contents insurance). There are a number of companies providing this cover. We have selected a provider WeLoveTenants.co.uk who have a simple on line application process.

How often will you visit the property?

As part of our contract with some landlords we make periodic inspections of the property.
We typically visit each property four times a year to make sure everything is OK. This is a chance to briefly check for any obvious maintenance issues, how well any maintenance has been done by our contractors and whether the terms of the tenancy are being followed.

The visits are brief and there is no need for you to be present. We will advise you of the visit date, usually by email a week or more before the date. We will usually then use our keys for access, unless we hear the date is not acceptable, or there are pets loose in the home. In special circumstances we try to agree specific visit times, but usually we can’t provide specific visit times.

During the visit we make brief notes and take photos of relevant items to report back to your landlord.

The first visit is usually around 4-6 weeks after each tenancy starts, then approximately every 3 months.

When do I pay my rent after I have moved in?

All rents are due to be with us on the day of the month when your tenancy started, e.g. if your tenancy started on 4th of the month then the rent needs paying by the 4th of each month. Giving banking delays we advise rents leave your account 2 days before they are due, to avoid them being received late and you inuring charges for chasing late payments.

Rent should be paid by standing order, which you need to set up with your bank using our banking details which can be found on our Pay page.

You can also download a Standing Order mandate from our Document Download section.

Due to the UK banking system it will be necessary for you to make sure that the full rental amount leaves your bank around 2 days before the due date, to ensure it reaches us on time.

Please note, we do not collect the rent from your bank by direct debit (as your phone company does). A standing order means you are in control by telling your bank exactly what to send us. This also means you will need to cancel the standing order at the end of the tenancy, to avoid over paying.

If rents are not received on time we will need to charge the cost of getting the rent paid – details of all charges are in the Tenant Fees and Charges document in the document download section.

If your payment is missed you can always pay securely on line.

Who is responsible for repairs?

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring the safe and effective operation of the systems in your home e.g. heat, water, electric and drainage, and for the building itself.

You are responsible for looking after your home properly and doing the little jobs around the property that any reasonable tenant might do. This includes things like changing any light bulbs, making sure the filter on the washing machine is clear etc.
If you report something and it is your landlord’s responsibility, we will seek their authority to get the work done. This can take a few days.

Where it is an emergency or a significant risk, we will get on with things to reduce any problem or risk.

If in doubt about what you should do, please ask.

Before you report a repair please consider our self-help guides, which may fix your problem.

What happens if I don’t pay my rent?

You are obliged by law to pay the rent, if not then your landlord has the right to give notice and seek to evict you. If you have a problem paying then let us know as soon as possible. If you do not pay your rent you will be liable for the costs of chasing late payments and taking formal action to obtain the money.

Details of all charges are in the Tenant Fees and Charges document in the document download section

How do I know my property is safe?

Periodic safety checks are required for your home e.g. gas appliances must be checked annually. We will arrange these when they are due, providing you with copies of documents as appropriate. You need to allow our contractors access to ensure these are completed when requested.

However you also have a responsibility to notify us or your landlord of any concerns. You also need to look after the property properly and do the little jobs around the home that any reasonable tenant might do to ensure it is safe.

Can I get satellite or cable TV?

If you want to fix a satellite dish to the property, or have a new cable enter the property, you need to get permission from your landlord. If they give permission it is likely to be on the condition that you ensure no breaches of planning or lease requirements, and you remove the dish or cable and any signs of the fitting at the end of your tenancy.

Can I make changes to the property?

Usually changes are not allowed to any property. With your landlord’s permission then items such as pictures etc. can be fitted, on the condition that the hooks and fixtures are removed at the end of your tenancy, along with any sign they were there. If you want to make a more substantial change, e.g. sometimes people want to decorate in a colour of their choice, then this is likely to need a specific agreement, so please contact us.

Can I smoke in the property?

No. All our properties are no smoking and this is stipulated in our tenancy agreements.

Smoking in a property can mean the property can’t be rented to people with sensitivities to smoke, limiting the chance of renting it again. Also the smell is hard to remove, although reasonably easy to cover up for a short period. Therefore if we detect there has been smoking in a property then your deposit will be held back for no less than 30 days from the end of your tenancy in order to determine if there are any residual smells and to cover the cost of having these smells removed.