TED! Someone is at the door, go answer it.
I can’t I am feeling dizzy and need to lie down.
Ok I shall go and see who it is, Maxine and Mattie didn’t tell us to expect any visitors.
(Smudge answers the door to a man in a yellow cape, flashing his GAS SAFE REGISTER ID card)…
Hello you’re Doug the Gas Safe Superhero? I recognise you from last year! Come in and say hi to Ted, he’s feeling dizzy and having a lie-down.
I hope he’s ok, in fact, I feel a little dizzy too, maybe it’s something in the air!
Perhaps I have arrived just in time. Let me check your house for Carbon Monoxide!
Ah yes! Good idea, I know that Rover almost died from that when he inadvertently blocked his chimney up!
Ok it looks like you are safe and your CO levels are safe. However, I did spot a mouldy old bone behind the sofa, maybe that’s what’s giving off such a whiff.
Thanks Doug, I shall get that buried in the garden and maybe have a nap myself. See you next year for our Annual Check
Bye Smudge, you take care of yourself. Keep that Gas under control.
Gas Safety Week is an annual event, highlighting the danger of gas and ensuring that you check all gas appliances to ensure they are safe.
As letting and management agents, we are obliged to check all of our managed properties for Gas & Carbon Monoxide Safety. If you are not a landlord and want to ensure your own property is safe, here are some tips:
- Warning Signs that something is not right ~ Examples can range from dull yellow/orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance, a pilot light that keeps going out and too much condensation in the room.
- Get a Qualified Engineer to check ~ Gas appliances should be checked annually by a Gas Safety registered engineer. Make sure that the engineer is registered and check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to find this information; you can also find or check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
- Do not forget about Carbon Monoxide, they don’t call it the silent killer for nothing ~ There are 6 main symptoms to be aware of if someone is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home to be alerted if there are any signs of carbon monoxide in the air. If you smell gas or you think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.