Honourable and personal residential letting experts


Blog from the dogs: Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards and EPCs

Ted: What are you doing?

Smudge: I’m on epcregister.com looking for our Energy Performance Certificate with the postcode

Ted: Gee Smudge, you sure know how to have fun on a Friday!

Smudge: That’s enough cheek from you. One of us has got to be on the ball, there’s some new legislation coming in next April, and I want to make sure we’re compliant.

Ted: …

Okay, I’ll bite. What legislation?

Smudge: Well, from the 1st of April 2018, in order to be able to let out a property, it has to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with a rating of E or higher – if you’ve never seen an EPC, they’re really good for telling you what your rating is and showing how you can improve. Oooh look, we could get to a B if we insulate the roof!

Ted: I can’t do that I’m afraid, I don’t have opposable thumbs

Smudge: Yet you can write blogs, and your lack of thumbs is never a problem when you want to play the Sims – I bet you’ve insulated the roof for your virtual family!

Ted: Yes, well. They’ve got to keep warm.

Smudge: I despair, Ted, I really do! Anyway, if you want to know more about the Minimum Energy Efficiency standards coming into play, then Lettings expert Jane Gardner from JP Gardner & Associates has recorded a short vlog with more information and you can watch it below.